Wednesday 25 March 2015

Know your Modern VintageStyle

So really I have always been a fan of VintageStyles & BohemianStyle! Today I feel the need to share some interesting facts and KNOW YOU STYLE posts on VintageStyle.


Little frills, Irish lace, crochet, beige, coke, hessian, old radio and camera, dirty shades of pink/purple colour.... we are on the same page yet?

So clothing produced before the 1920’s was referred to as antiques, I quote “from the 1920s to 20 years from the present day is considered vintage”. Retro or vintage style refers to clothing of the previous era that has been copied. Reproduction is usually when clothing has been newly made from an old (vintage) garment. More recent produced vintage clothing is  called modern or contemporary (vintage) fashion. Original vintage clothing has probably been previously worn. There is little that has not been worn and these items are usually found in old warehouse stock – if these items still have their tags on it could be valuable and that means “KA-JING”- if you’ll be interested in selling vintage clothing. I also believe true vintage is hand made by individuals but can also be commercial produced.

I really think the first time I fell in love with VintageStyle was when I watched “Wild Child” when the girls visited the vintage store, those college towns or artsy neighborhoods in London, gives me that Vintage-tious atmosphere and inpiration. The shop was packed with all these different accessories, shoes, dresses etc. That’s what I call a real vintage store.

In South Africa we don’t have a lot of vintage store I know of – please do tell me if you have a favourite store I’d love to go visit! In other countries you’ll usually find vintage clothing at charity-run second hand shops, consignment shops, garage sales, flea markets, antique markets, vintage clothing shops, fairs and I bet there are lots more. If you don’t have any of the above mentioned places close-by - but you have internet buy online eBay, Zando, Spree, Labels4Less etc.

Vintage designers of the era:
  •   Marc Jacobs
  • Coco Chanel
  • Christian Dior
  • Hubert de Givenchy
  • Clair McCardell
  • Giorgio Armani
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Jean Paul Gaultier
 Designing has always been 1 of my passions, for the past few weeks I have had this idea of designing my own Vintage range – no it’s probably not going to be warn all over the World, but maybe if Karlien van Jaarsveld, Jeannie D or Natalie Becker sees it they’ll fall in love with it. So this is my next big project – but I’ll talk about this in a later post. 

First Meet Vintage



































Hope you enjoyed! 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment